Licenses and Tags

Driver’s License

Alabama Department of Public -Safety  Driver’s License Examiner

3400 Demetropolis Rd., Mobile

(251) 660-2330

For out-of-state new residents, first-time issuance of an Alabama driver’s license, suspended driver’s license, or a foreign national driver’s license, you must apply at the Alabama Department of Public Safety office in Mobile County. New residents with a valid out-of-state driver’s license have 30 days to obtain an Alabama license. If you currently have a valid out-of-state license, the only requirement is a vision screening test ($5) and surrender of your out-of-state license. Although a first-time license must be obtained through the state office, driver’s licenses can be renewed at any Mobile County License Commission office.


License Fee: $37.50



Mobile County License Commission 

3925 Michael Blvd., Mobile

(251) 574-8566

Tags are acquired from the Mobile County License Commission. A new Alabama resident is required to title and register his or her vehicle within 30 days of moving into the state with a valid out-of-state registration. There is a fee plus taxes for all passenger cars. All vehicles (built in 1975 and newer) must have titles. Registration for an out-of-state vehicle must be presented when applying for an Alabama tag. Alabama has a staggered renewal system, and the tag expiration date is according to the first letter of the last name.

The Mobile County License Commission has five convenient locations where you may register a vehicle, renew your car tag or driver’s license, manufactured home, boats, obtain a hunting or fishing license or other license transactions. Tags also can be renewed online, by phone or by mail.



Mobile County License Commission 

3925 Michael Blvd., Mobile

(251) 574-8566

Businesses must obtain a license from the city they are operating in, in addition to a county and state license. County and state licenses are available at the Mobile County License Commission office.


Voter Registration

Mobile County Probate Court 

Board of Registrars

205 Government St., Mobile

(251) 574-8586

Voter registration forms are available online and at public libraries. Non-registered residents may also fill out voter registration forms at any Department of Motor Vehicle office and cards will be mailed in a few weeks.



City of Mobile Animal Shelter 

855 Owens St., Mobile

(251) 208-2801

All dogs within the city limits are required to be licensed. A license must be purchased during normal office hours, including 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Saturday. Proof of current rabies inoculation is required for all license purchases. Inoculation certificates may be obtained from a veterinarian and are good for one year from the date of issue. City license tags must be renewed between October and January of each year.



Mobile County Probate Court 

205 Government St., Mobile

(251) 574-8500

Minimum age to receive a marriage license is 18. Minors must be accompanied by both parents or legal guardians. There is no waiting period.