News You Can Use / Post Recession, Mobile’s Manufacturing Industry Grows
U.S. manufacturing employs more than 12 million men and women, contributing $2.08 trillion to the U.S. economy annually, according to the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM).
Taking a look at Mobile’s piece of that pie, Al Ruffin, the Mobile Area Chamber’s lead researchers found some interesting manufacturing statistics that might be surprising:
- Manufacturing employment has increased each year since 2009.
- For the first time since 2000, there are four manufacturers with at least 1,000 employees.
- For the first time since 2000, there are five manufacturers with at least 900 employees.
- The top 10 Mobile County manufacturers represent five different industries – aerospace, chemicals, paper products, shipbuilding and steel.
- Austal USA is the second largest manufacturer in Alabama.
- Southwest Alabama was designated as one of the first 12 national manufacturing communities.
Click here to read The Business View – Dec. 2014/Jan. 2015